The National Research Foundation (NRF) Central Gap Fund (“Central Gap”) aims to support the translation of research outcomes into useful products, processes and services that generate economic and societal benefits. The scheme provides a national-level platform to resource impactful projects and encourage collaboration across public research performers and/or industry.
Types of projects
Projects from any area of science and engineering are eligible. However, only projects that aim to develop technologies of high impact and significant value for Singapore will be considered. Projects must aim to develop early technologies into working prototypes or functional processes that are closer to market, with the aim of demonstrating clear market need, so as to attract private sector investments and/or commercialisation receptacles to bring the technologies to full commercialisation or use.
The team should comprise the following:
- Project Lead who has the experience in leading translation/gap-funded projects and encourage collaboration with complementary projects with other institutions, if necessary.
- Researchers or scientists with relevant technical expertise and experience, and who are involved in the original research project.
- An experienced business management/development person or equivalent, or access to shared mentoring resources that the team can tap on.
Publicly-funded research performers and government-linked entities are eligible for Central Gap. Entities in the list below are automatically eligible. Applicants outside of this list will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- A*STAR Research Institutes
- Local public research centres and consortia
- CREATE entities
- Local public hospitals, public health institutions and National Specialty Centres
- Local autonomous universities, polytechnics and Institute of Technical Education
- Research Centres of Excellence hosted by local autonomous universities
- Temasek Life Sciences Laboratory
Call Frequency and Grant Quantum
The Central Gap provides funding support for projects of quantum greater than S$250K for a period of up to 2 years. The funding support is as follows:
- For projects with approved qualifying costs less than or equal to S$500K: The IEO and Central Gap will equally co-fund the qualifying costs.
- For projects with approved qualifying costs greater than S$500K: The IEO will co-fund S$250K and Central Gap will support the remaining qualifying costs.
Proposals can be submitted throughout the year and will be processed on a needs basis. All submission and endorsement will be through email with the email subject as “[For Submission and Endorsement] Central Gap Fund – Project Title and Project Lead” to NRF CIEO at NRF_IE@nrf.gov.sg. Please note that each email should only contain one project. Multiple projects in one email will be returned.
A Standing Oversight Committee, with inputs from subject matter experts, will evaluate the proposals that have been submitted and recommend projects to award, guided by the following criteria:
|Project Scope|| |
|Commercialisation Potential || |
|Technical Innovation|| |
|Institutional Support || |
For further clarifications, please contact your IEO.